Oh heatwave be gone!
Yes, it's real heatwave weather this week and Mum and I absolutely loathe it. It feels as hot as Hades (or should that be Tartarus?) Actually, hot as Hades sounds much better to me. Mum says it's because of the alliteration.
Of course as a goddess I should be able to freeze out this heat whenever I want. But unfortunately this is real life and I can't, but I can give your human some top tips on how to keep you cool and safe in this evil heat.
So here are my top 5 tips on keeping your cat cool in summer.
- Make sure your cat has access to a shady area (both indoors and out, and especially if you are going to be out of the house all day).
- If your cat is an outdoor cat it’s best to keep them inside during the hottest part of the day.
- Make sure your cat has plenty of water to drink. An automatic water fountain is great, especially if you are going to be out of the house for a long time. On really hot days you could place an ice cube in the cat’s water bowl.
- Wipe your cat down with a cool damp cloth or towel. Some cats may not like this at first, so be gentle.
- If you have a white cat be sure to apply a high factor sun cream to their ears and nose. And remember, do not use one that’s meant for humans as the chemicals contained could be harmful to your cat. Instead, ask your vet to recommend one.