Wednesday, 1 April 2015

Easter and Spring Time Dangers for Cats



So it was the Spring Equinox the other week and spring is springing, but remember, not everything in nature is beautiful and safe. Hidden dangers lurk everywhere, especially for your pets. And as it's almost Easter, here are things you should bear in mind if you haven't already to keep your cat safe at this time of the year. Indeed, all year round!

Easter Lily

photo credit: via photopin (license)

The Easter Lily, and indeed many types of lilies  are deadly to cats.The first signs that your cat has been affected is vomiting and lethargy, and if left untreated, may progress to kidney (renal) failure and death. Please call your veterinarian immediately if you suspect that your cat has eaten any part of a lily plant. Even pollen can be ingested while the cat is grooming himself.

Daffodil


Another spring flower, the daffodil, is also toxic to cats. Even tiny amounts of this plant and flower are highly toxic if ingested. All parts of this flower can be toxic so beware. Also, the pollen gets everywhere and so a cat can ingest it when they groom themselves. Again, the first signs your cat may have been affected is vomiting, lethargy, loss of appetite, tremors and seizures. Signs usually develop 6-12 hours after ingestion. Kidney failure occurs as early as 36-72 after ingestion.

Other flowers that can cause harm to cats are:

  • Tulips
  • Crocus
  • Lily of the Valley

For a list of all poisonous plants click HERE

Fertilizers

Most fertilizers contain nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium, and may also many other toxins that are dangerous to our pets. Then there are the pesticides and fungicides, etc. Please be careful when using these.

There is a list of all outdoor dangers for cats and dogs at the Pet Poison Helpline website.

If you think your pet has been exposed to fertilizer call your veterinarian or the Pet Poison Helpline immediately. For more information visit the Pet Poisons website.

Chocolate and Chocolate Easter Eggs

photo credit: Food via photopin (license)

Yes, chocolate is highly toxic for cats. Chocolate contains theobromine and if ingested the following symptoms may occur:
  • Vomiting,
  • Diarrhoea
  • Excessive urination
  • Irregular hearbeat
  • Nausea
  • Seizures
  • A larger dose may cause coma or death.

Contact your vet immediately if your cat shows any of these signs or if you suspect your cat has eaten chocolate.


Helpful Links:

http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/
https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/cat-behavior/foods-are-hazardous-cats
http://www.icatcare.org/advice/keeping-your-cat-safe/cats-and-poisonous-plants http://www.cats.org.uk/wolverhampton/news/lethal-lilies
http://www.yourcat.co.uk/Outdoor-cats/why-are-lilies-dangerous-to-cats
http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/toxicology/a/Lily-Toxicity-In-Cats-And-Dogs.htm

24 comments:

  1. Thank you for these reminders Marie. I used to have an Easter Lily on the table annually but since Amelia refuses to accept that cats are not allowed on the table, I just make a pretty basket centerpiece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A pretty basket sounds like a great idea! We try not to allow any plants or flowers in the house these days.

      Delete
  2. My human keeps all these things away from us kitties! Lilies - nearly all flowers except roses and daisies in fact - aren't even allowed in the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, same here, Summer. It's scary, isn't it? But I wonder about those outdoor kitties. I suppose they know what's harmful by instinct. We cats are highly intelligent after all.

      Purrs xx
      Athena

      Delete
  3. All good advice. We rarely have chocolate in the house, but we keep it well hidden, as it is toxic to dogs and cats. As for flowers? We keep them outside.
    --Purrs (and wags) from Life with Dogs and Cats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, any chocolate that I have in the house is well hidden from Athena.

      Delete
  4. Great reminder ! Thank you for the useful links. Purrs

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this article. It is very informative, and a great reminder with Easter around the corner. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  6. Excellent post and so important this time of year. I didn't realize that daffodils were poisonous too. Cute photo of Athena :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Athena, you are beautiful as always :) The spring colors really bring out your eyes. Thank you for the reminder about spring dangers. I would hate for any kitty to get poisoned this spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, it's such a worry.

      Delete
  8. Great reminder! Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good safety tips, Athena and Mum! Easter can be a great time of celebration, but the humans have to be careful around us cats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's always good to be reminded of these things. Athena we love how that frame on your photo enhances your eyes. XOCK, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth and Calista Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Green is a lovely spring colour.

      Delete
  11. Over at my house we only have those flowers outside in the garden and since I´m on the leash when I am outside it´s no risk I got to taste them :)

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for all the information in this blog post. It's very useful, especially whenever they are #Grooming

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!

Purrs xx
Athena and Marie